Swedish Cabbage Soup with Meatballs
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
A slightly sweetened chicken broth gives this cabbage soup its delicate flavor. Make it a meal: Swedish rye crisps are the perfect accompaniment.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head green cabbage, cored and cut into 1-inch cubes (12 cups)
- 2 tablespoons golden cane syrup, or dark corn syrup
- 8 ounces ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add cabbage and sauté until cabbage starts to release some of its liquid, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add syrup. Simmer, uncovered, until the cabbage is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine turkey, salt and pepper in a small bowl. With wet hands, shape mixture into meatballs the size of marbles. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Add broth and bay leaves to the cooked cabbage. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Drop the meatballs into the soup and simmer until they are no longer pink inside, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Season the soup with salt and a generous grinding of pepper before serving.
Per serving: 168 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 4 g fiber; 450 mg sodium; 350 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (92% daily value), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 1993
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)