Whole-Grain Sushi Rice
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
Although white sushi rice is traditional, this brown sushi rice base is blended with other grains and lentils. Traditional vinegar and sugar seasoning are omitted in this whole-grain brown sushi rice recipe so that the natural taste of the whole grains shines through. Any lentils work—French green lentils hold their shape best.
- 1 1/4 cups short-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 1/4 cup lentils
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed (see Tip)
- 4 cups warm water
- Combine brown rice, wild rice, lentils, quinoa and flaxseed in a large saucepan; add water. Let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours to hydrate the grains.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and bring to a boil. Reduce to a very gentle simmer and cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and cool for about 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; bring to room temperature before making sushi.
- Tip: Look for ground flaxseed (flaxmeal) in large supermarkets or natural-foods stores or grind whole flaxseeds in a clean coffee grinder or blender just before using. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 94 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 109 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- July/August 2012