Whole-Grain Sushi Rice
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
Although white sushi rice is traditional, this brown sushi rice base is blended with other grains and lentils. Traditional vinegar and sugar seasoning are omitted in this whole-grain brown sushi rice recipe so that the natural taste of the whole grains shines through. Any lentils work—French green lentils hold their shape best.
- 1 1/4 cups short-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 1/4 cup lentils
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed (see Tip)
- 4 cups warm water
- Combine brown rice, wild rice, lentils, quinoa and flaxseed in a large saucepan; add water. Let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours to hydrate the grains.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and bring to a boil. Reduce to a very gentle simmer and cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and cool for about 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; bring to room temperature before making sushi.
- Tip: Look for ground flaxseed (flaxmeal) in large supermarkets or natural-foods stores or grind whole flaxseeds in a clean coffee grinder or blender just before using. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 94 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 109 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 2012