Whole-Grain Sushi Rice
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
Although white sushi rice is traditional, this brown sushi rice base is blended with other grains and lentils. Traditional vinegar and sugar seasoning are omitted in this whole-grain brown sushi rice recipe so that the natural taste of the whole grains shines through. Any lentils work—French green lentils hold their shape best.
- 1 1/4 cups short-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 1/4 cup lentils
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed (see Tip)
- 4 cups warm water
- Combine brown rice, wild rice, lentils, quinoa and flaxseed in a large saucepan; add water. Let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours to hydrate the grains.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and bring to a boil. Reduce to a very gentle simmer and cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and cool for about 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; bring to room temperature before making sushi.
- Tip: Look for ground flaxseed (flaxmeal) in large supermarkets or natural-foods stores or grind whole flaxseeds in a clean coffee grinder or blender just before using. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 94 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 109 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 2012