Whole-Grain Sushi Rice
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
Although white sushi rice is traditional, this brown sushi rice base is blended with other grains and lentils. Traditional vinegar and sugar seasoning are omitted in this whole-grain brown sushi rice recipe so that the natural taste of the whole grains shines through. Any lentils work—French green lentils hold their shape best.
- 1 1/4 cups short-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 1/4 cup lentils
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed (see Tip)
- 4 cups warm water
- Combine brown rice, wild rice, lentils, quinoa and flaxseed in a large saucepan; add water. Let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours to hydrate the grains.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and bring to a boil. Reduce to a very gentle simmer and cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and cool for about 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; bring to room temperature before making sushi.
- Tip: Look for ground flaxseed (flaxmeal) in large supermarkets or natural-foods stores or grind whole flaxseeds in a clean coffee grinder or blender just before using. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 94 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 109 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- July/August 2012