Whole-Grain Sushi Rice
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
Although white sushi rice is traditional, this brown sushi rice base is blended with other grains and lentils. Traditional vinegar and sugar seasoning are omitted in this whole-grain brown sushi rice recipe so that the natural taste of the whole grains shines through. Any lentils work—French green lentils hold their shape best.
- 1 1/4 cups short-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 1/4 cup lentils
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed (see Tip)
- 4 cups warm water
- Combine brown rice, wild rice, lentils, quinoa and flaxseed in a large saucepan; add water. Let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours to hydrate the grains.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and bring to a boil. Reduce to a very gentle simmer and cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and cool for about 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; bring to room temperature before making sushi.
- Tip: Look for ground flaxseed (flaxmeal) in large supermarkets or natural-foods stores or grind whole flaxseeds in a clean coffee grinder or blender just before using. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 94 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 109 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- July/August 2012