Sunday Sausage Strata
The "strata" in this classic casserole are layers of bread, cheese and sausage baked in an egg-rich pudding.
- 1/2 pound turkey breakfast sausage, (four 2-ounce links), casing removed
- 2 medium onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 12 large eggs
- 4 cups 1% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 cups cubed, whole-wheat country bread, (about 7 slices, crusts removed)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese, (4 ounces)
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish (or similar shallow 3-quart baking dish) with cooking spray.
- Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Add onions and bell pepper to the pan and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl until blended.
- Spread bread in the prepared baking dish. Scatter the sausage and the onion mixture evenly over the bread. Brush with mustard. Sprinkle with cheese. Pour in the egg mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the strata, uncovered, until puffed, lightly browned and set in the center, 55 to 65 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4 the night before serving.
Per serving: 255 calories; 13 g fat (45 g sat, 4 g mono); 229 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 2 g fiber; 513 mg sodium; 380 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (72% daily value), Calcium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2/3 starch, 1/3 milk, 1/2 vegetable, 1 very lean protein, 1 1/3 medium-fat protein
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry