Sunday Sausage Strata
The "strata" in this classic casserole are layers of bread, cheese and sausage baked in an egg-rich pudding.
- 1/2 pound turkey breakfast sausage, (four 2-ounce links), casing removed
- 2 medium onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 12 large eggs
- 4 cups 1% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 cups cubed, whole-wheat country bread, (about 7 slices, crusts removed)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese, (4 ounces)
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish (or similar shallow 3-quart baking dish) with cooking spray.
- Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Add onions and bell pepper to the pan and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl until blended.
- Spread bread in the prepared baking dish. Scatter the sausage and the onion mixture evenly over the bread. Brush with mustard. Sprinkle with cheese. Pour in the egg mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the strata, uncovered, until puffed, lightly browned and set in the center, 55 to 65 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4 the night before serving.
Per serving: 255 calories; 13 g fat (45 g sat, 4 g mono); 229 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 2 g fiber; 513 mg sodium; 380 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (72% daily value), Calcium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2/3 starch, 1/3 milk, 1/2 vegetable, 1 very lean protein, 1 1/3 medium-fat protein
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry