Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
From EatingWell: August/September 2005
In the '70s, with the advent of New American cooking, sun-dried tomato pesto became something of a cliché-and was summarily forgotten on the culinary landscape. It's well worth a revival, especially when you cut down the fat and add a little vinegar for a nice spike.
- 2 heads garlic
- 12 sun-dried tomato halves, (2 ounces) (see Note)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup grated Asiago cheese
- 2 teaspoons packed fresh oregano leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Slice the top quarter off each head of garlic, exposing the inner cloves. Wrap in foil and roast until soft, about 45 minutes. Open the foil packet and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, place sun-dried tomatoes in a medium bowl. Cover with boiling water and let soak until soft, about 20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tomatoes to a food processor or large blender. Add 6 tablespoons of the soaking liquid, cheese, oregano, oil, vinegar, red pepper and salt. Squeeze in the roasted garlic. Pulse a few times, then process until smooth, or to the desired consistency, scraping down the sides occasionally.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Buy dry sun-dried tomatoes, usually found in the produce section, not the ones jarred in oil. Look for soft, pliable wedges: avoid those that are desiccated, brittle or tarnished brown.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 60 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 159 mg sodium; 142 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- August/September 2005