Sun-Dried Tomato & Feta Stuffed Artichokes
From EatingWell: March/April 2008
Flavorful sun-dried tomatoes and tangy feta add depth to the stuffing for these artichokes.
- 2 1/4 cups coarse dry whole-wheat dry breadcrumbs, (see Note)
- 1 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
- 2/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, rinsed and finely chopped, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large artichokes, (2 1/2-3 1/2 pounds total)
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- To prepare stuffing: Combine breadcrumbs, feta, tomatoes, basil, garlic, salt, pepper and oil in a medium bowl.
- To prepare artichokes: Cut off the top 1 inch of leaves from an artichoke. Remove the outer layer of small, tough leaves from the stem end. Snip all remaining spiky tips from the outer leaves. Cut off the stem to make a flat bottom. (Discard the stem.) Starting at the outer layers and progressing inward, pull the leaves apart to loosen. Pull open the leaves at the center until you see the spiky, lighter leaves around the heart. Pull out those lighter leaves to expose the fuzzy choke. Scoop out the choke with a melon baller or grapefruit spoon and discard. Repeat this step with the remaining artichokes.
- Spoon 1/2 cup stuffing into the center of an artichoke. Stuff an additional 1/2 cup stuffing between the outer leaves, toward the base, using a small spoon. Repeat with the remaining artichokes and stuffing. Divide any remaining stuffing among the artichokes.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broth and lemon juice; bring to a simmer. Carefully stand the artichokes upright in the pan. Drizzle each artichoke with 1 teaspoon oil.
- Cover, transfer the pot to the oven and bake until tender when pierced down through the center with a knife, about 50 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the stuffing is slightly browned, about 10 minutes more. Remove from the braising liquid and serve. Use the braising liquid for dipping if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate stuffing (Step 2) for up to 1 day. Prep and stuff artichokes (Steps 3-4) up to 1 hour ahead.
- Note: We like Ian's brand of whole-wheat dry breadcrumbs labeled “Panko breadcrumbs.” Find them in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets. To make your own, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 250°F until crispy, about 15 minutes. One slice of fresh bread makes about 1/3 cup dry crumbs. Or use prepared coarse dry breadcrumbs.
Per serving: 412 calories; 18 g fat (6 g sat, 9 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 12 g fiber; 709 mg sodium; 757 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (55% daily value), Folate (27% dv), Calcium & Iron (23% dv), Potassium (22% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2.5
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- March/April 2008