Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Baked Potatoes
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
Sun-dried tomatoes, basil and tangy capers make a fresh-tasting topping for baked potatoes. Make it a meal: Serve with cups of Creamy Artichoke-Spinach Soup.
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes, not packed in oil (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup slivered fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pierce potatoes all over with a fork. Place in the microwave and cook at 50% power, turning once or twice, until the potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes. (Or, use the “potato setting” on your microwave and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions.)
- Pour boiling water over sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl. Let soak for 5 to 10 minutes to soften, then drain and cut into thin slivers.
- Combine the tomatoes, basil, capers, garlic and oil in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over the baked potatoes.
Per serving: 201 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 5 g fiber; 158 mg sodium; 942 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 1994