Summer Potato Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 1995
Our take on this potato salad has a light creamy dressing made with nonfat yogurt and low-fat mayonnaise and gets a unique hit of richness and flavor with the addition of pureed roasted garlic.
- 2 large heads garlic
- 3 pounds medium red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip), peeled, divided
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 4-ounce jar sliced pimientos, rinsed
- 1 3-ounce can pitted black olives, (1/2 cup), rinsed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, or scallion greens
- Paprika, for garnish
- Chives, or parsley sprigs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove loose papery skin from garlic, without separating the cloves. Slice the tips off each head, exposing the cloves. Wrap the heads in foil. Roast until the cloves are very soft, about 40 minutes. Unwrap the garlic and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook over medium heat until tender, 7 to 9 minutes. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl. Toss gently with vinegar; let cool.
- When the garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze the cloves out of their skins into a food processor or blender. Add mayonnaise, yogurt and mustard; blend until smooth. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Add the dressing to the potatoes and toss to coat. Finely chop 3 hard-boiled eggs and add to the potatoes along with celery, pimientos, olives, parsley, chives (or scallion greens), the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Stir gently to mix. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with paprika. Slice the remaining egg and arrange the slices decoratively on top. Garnish with chives (or parsley sprigs).
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs, place in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and fill the pan with a mixture of cold water and ice cubes; let stand until the eggs are completely cooled.
Per serving: 161 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 85 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 347 mg sodium; 719 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (42% daily value), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- September/October 1995
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)