Summer Berry Pudding
From EatingWell: July/August 2007
A summer pudding is a British warm-weather wonder—not steamed like a sticky pudding but an easy dish that sets up thanks to the pectin in the berries. Be sure to use firm, bakery-quality bread.
- 4 small slices firm white bread, crusts removed
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Pinch of salt
- Place a 1-cup (8-ounce) ramekin or similar-size dish on top of a slice of bread and cut around it to trim the bread to fit the dish. Repeat with the remaining 3 slices of bread.
- Combine berries, sugar, water and salt in a medium saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until the berries break down, 5 to 6 minutes. Reserve 1/3 cup for garnish; cover and refrigerate.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the remaining berry mixture in the bottom of each ramekin. Top with a slice of bread. Divide the remaining berry mixture between each, then top with another slice of bread.
- Put the puddings on a large plate to catch any overflowing juices. Cover each with plastic wrap, then place a 15-ounce weight, such as a can of beans, on top of each pudding. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or up to 2 days.
- To unmold, remove the weight and plastic wrap, run a knife around the inside of the ramekin, and invert onto a dessert plate. Spoon the reserved berry mixture over the puddings.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. | Equipment: Two 1-cup (8-ounce) ramekins or similar-size dishes
Per serving: 252 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 8 g fiber; 299 mg sodium; 277 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), rich in antioxidants (anthocyanidins, ellagic acid).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 2007