From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Orange zest, cinnamon and almonds lend these figgy treats a sophisticated flavor.
- 4 ounces dried figs, (2/3 cup)
- 1/3 cup whole or slivered almonds (2 ounces), toasted (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons amaretto, or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Combine figs, almonds, cocoa and cinnamon in a food processor; pulse just until the almonds and figs are the size of peppercorns. Add honey, orange zest and amaretto (or almond extract) and pulse 3 or 4 times more, just until mixed in.
- Spread the sugar in a pie plate or shallow dish. Form the fig mixture into 1-inch balls and roll in sugar.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 1 week.
- Tip: To toast almonds: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per sugarplum: 42 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 53 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1994