From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Orange zest, cinnamon and almonds lend these figgy treats a sophisticated flavor.
- 4 ounces dried figs, (2/3 cup)
- 1/3 cup whole or slivered almonds (2 ounces), toasted (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons amaretto, or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Combine figs, almonds, cocoa and cinnamon in a food processor; pulse just until the almonds and figs are the size of peppercorns. Add honey, orange zest and amaretto (or almond extract) and pulse 3 or 4 times more, just until mixed in.
- Spread the sugar in a pie plate or shallow dish. Form the fig mixture into 1-inch balls and roll in sugar.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 1 week.
- Tip: To toast almonds: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per sugarplum: 42 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 53 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1994