From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Orange zest, cinnamon and almonds lend these figgy treats a sophisticated flavor.
- 4 ounces dried figs, (2/3 cup)
- 1/3 cup whole or slivered almonds (2 ounces), toasted (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons amaretto, or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Combine figs, almonds, cocoa and cinnamon in a food processor; pulse just until the almonds and figs are the size of peppercorns. Add honey, orange zest and amaretto (or almond extract) and pulse 3 or 4 times more, just until mixed in.
- Spread the sugar in a pie plate or shallow dish. Form the fig mixture into 1-inch balls and roll in sugar.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 1 week.
- Tip: To toast almonds: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per sugarplum: 42 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 53 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- November/December 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)