From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Orange zest, cinnamon and almonds lend these figgy treats a sophisticated flavor.
- 4 ounces dried figs, (2/3 cup)
- 1/3 cup whole or slivered almonds (2 ounces), toasted (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons amaretto, or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Combine figs, almonds, cocoa and cinnamon in a food processor; pulse just until the almonds and figs are the size of peppercorns. Add honey, orange zest and amaretto (or almond extract) and pulse 3 or 4 times more, just until mixed in.
- Spread the sugar in a pie plate or shallow dish. Form the fig mixture into 1-inch balls and roll in sugar.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 1 week.
- Tip: To toast almonds: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per sugarplum: 42 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 53 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1994