From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Orange zest, cinnamon and almonds lend these figgy treats a sophisticated flavor.
- 4 ounces dried figs, (2/3 cup)
- 1/3 cup whole or slivered almonds (2 ounces), toasted (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons amaretto, or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Combine figs, almonds, cocoa and cinnamon in a food processor; pulse just until the almonds and figs are the size of peppercorns. Add honey, orange zest and amaretto (or almond extract) and pulse 3 or 4 times more, just until mixed in.
- Spread the sugar in a pie plate or shallow dish. Form the fig mixture into 1-inch balls and roll in sugar.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 1 week.
- Tip: To toast almonds: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per sugarplum: 42 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 53 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1994