Stuffed Pork Sandwiches for Two
From EatingWell: January/February 2009
The classic Cuban sandwich inspired this recipe. The original is made with ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese and pickles pressed and griddled between two pieces of soft white bread. Our version cuts down on the meat and is served on a soft whole-wheat bun. Feel free to press it in a panini maker to make it crispy. Serve with vinegary coleslaw.
- 2 4-ounce boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick, trimmed
- 1 thin slice Swiss cheese, (1 ounce), cut in half
- 2 dill pickle sandwich slices
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 slices tomato
- 1 romaine lettuce leaf, cut in half
- Cut each pork chop nearly in half horizontally, stopping short of the opposite side. Open each chop and place between sheets of plastic wrap. Pound with a meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, slightly thicker than 1/8 inch.
- Place a piece of cheese and a pickle slice on one side of each flattened chop. Fold the chop over the filling, closing it like a book. Press the edges firmly together to seal. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the stuffed chops, reduce heat to medium and cook until golden brown and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread the toasted buns with mustard and top each with a pork chop, tomato slice and lettuce.
Per serving: 332 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 4 g fiber; 612 mg sodium; 510 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (19% daily value), Magnesium (16% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2009