Stuffed Pork Sandwiches for Two
From EatingWell: January/February 2009
The classic Cuban sandwich inspired this recipe. The original is made with ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese and pickles pressed and griddled between two pieces of soft white bread. Our version cuts down on the meat and is served on a soft whole-wheat bun. Feel free to press it in a panini maker to make it crispy. Serve with vinegary coleslaw.
- 2 4-ounce boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick, trimmed
- 1 thin slice Swiss cheese, (1 ounce), cut in half
- 2 dill pickle sandwich slices
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 slices tomato
- 1 romaine lettuce leaf, cut in half
- Cut each pork chop nearly in half horizontally, stopping short of the opposite side. Open each chop and place between sheets of plastic wrap. Pound with a meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, slightly thicker than 1/8 inch.
- Place a piece of cheese and a pickle slice on one side of each flattened chop. Fold the chop over the filling, closing it like a book. Press the edges firmly together to seal. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the stuffed chops, reduce heat to medium and cook until golden brown and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread the toasted buns with mustard and top each with a pork chop, tomato slice and lettuce.
Per serving: 332 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 4 g fiber; 612 mg sodium; 510 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (19% daily value), Magnesium (16% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Grapefruit can add a healthy and refreshing flavor to entrees...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2009