Stuffed Pork Sandwich
From EatingWell: January/February 2009
The classic Cuban sandwich inspired this recipe. The original is made with ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese and pickles pressed and griddled between two pieces of soft white bread. Our version cuts down on the meat and is served on a soft whole-wheat bun. Feel free to press it in a panini maker to make it crispy. Serve with vinegary coleslaw.
- 4 4-ounce boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick, trimmed
- 2 thin slices Swiss cheese, (1 ounce each), cut in half
- 4 dill pickle sandwich slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 slices tomato
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves, cut in half
- Cut each pork chop nearly in half horizontally, stopping short of the opposite side. Open each chop and place between sheets of plastic wrap. Pound with a meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, slightly thicker than 1/8 inch.
- Place a piece of cheese and a pickle slice on one side of each flattened chop. Fold the chop over the filling, closing it like a book. Press the edges firmly together to seal. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the stuffed chops, reduce heat to medium and cook until golden brown and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread the toasted buns with mustard and top each with a pork chop, tomato slice and lettuce.
Per serving: 353 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 6 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 4 g fiber; 612 mg sodium; 522 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (19% daily value), Magnesium (16% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2009