Stuffed Pork Sandwich
From EatingWell: January/February 2009
The classic Cuban sandwich inspired this recipe. The original is made with ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese and pickles pressed and griddled between two pieces of soft white bread. Our version cuts down on the meat and is served on a soft whole-wheat bun. Feel free to press it in a panini maker to make it crispy. Serve with vinegary coleslaw.
- 4 4-ounce boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick, trimmed
- 2 thin slices Swiss cheese, (1 ounce each), cut in half
- 4 dill pickle sandwich slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 slices tomato
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves, cut in half
- Cut each pork chop nearly in half horizontally, stopping short of the opposite side. Open each chop and place between sheets of plastic wrap. Pound with a meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, slightly thicker than 1/8 inch.
- Place a piece of cheese and a pickle slice on one side of each flattened chop. Fold the chop over the filling, closing it like a book. Press the edges firmly together to seal. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the stuffed chops, reduce heat to medium and cook until golden brown and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread the toasted buns with mustard and top each with a pork chop, tomato slice and lettuce.
Per serving: 353 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 6 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 4 g fiber; 612 mg sodium; 522 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (19% daily value), Magnesium (16% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2009