Stuffed Pork Sandwich
From EatingWell: January/February 2009
The classic Cuban sandwich inspired this recipe. The original is made with ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese and pickles pressed and griddled between two pieces of soft white bread. Our version cuts down on the meat and is served on a soft whole-wheat bun. Feel free to press it in a panini maker to make it crispy. Serve with vinegary coleslaw.
- 4 4-ounce boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick, trimmed
- 2 thin slices Swiss cheese, (1 ounce each), cut in half
- 4 dill pickle sandwich slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 slices tomato
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves, cut in half
- Cut each pork chop nearly in half horizontally, stopping short of the opposite side. Open each chop and place between sheets of plastic wrap. Pound with a meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, slightly thicker than 1/8 inch.
- Place a piece of cheese and a pickle slice on one side of each flattened chop. Fold the chop over the filling, closing it like a book. Press the edges firmly together to seal. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the stuffed chops, reduce heat to medium and cook until golden brown and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread the toasted buns with mustard and top each with a pork chop, tomato slice and lettuce.
Per serving: 353 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 6 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 4 g fiber; 612 mg sodium; 522 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (19% daily value), Magnesium (16% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2009