Lean ground turkey makes a moist, low-fat substitute for the ground beef that's usually found in stuffed pepper filling. To add a nutty flavor and boost the nutrition even further, we call for cooked brown rice, but this recipe will also work with white rice.
- 4 large green bell peppers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce, (1 cup), divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt, (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut out stem ends of bell peppers and discard. Scoop out seeds. Bring 8 cups water to a boil in a large pot and blanch the peppers until tender-crisp, about 1 minute. Drain and cool under cold running water. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add turkey and cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, just until it loses its pink color, about 2 minutes. Drain the fat.
- Transfer the turkey mixture to a medium bowl and mix in rice, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, parsley, salt (if using) and pepper. Stuff the peppers with the mixture and place them in a 2-quart casserole dish. Spoon the remaining 1/2 cup tomato sauce over the peppers. Cover and bake until the peppers are tender and the filling is heated through, 30 to 35 minutes.
Per serving: 327 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 84 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 25 g protein; 6 g fiber; 354 mg sodium; 805 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (232% daily value), Vitamin A (20% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetables, 3 lean protein, 1 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient