Lean ground turkey makes a moist, low-fat substitute for the ground beef that's usually found in stuffed pepper filling. To add a nutty flavor and boost the nutrition even further, we call for cooked brown rice, but this recipe will also work with white rice.
- 4 large green bell peppers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce, (1 cup), divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt, (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut out stem ends of bell peppers and discard. Scoop out seeds. Bring 8 cups water to a boil in a large pot and blanch the peppers until tender-crisp, about 1 minute. Drain and cool under cold running water. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add turkey and cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, just until it loses its pink color, about 2 minutes. Drain the fat.
- Transfer the turkey mixture to a medium bowl and mix in rice, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, parsley, salt (if using) and pepper. Stuff the peppers with the mixture and place them in a 2-quart casserole dish. Spoon the remaining 1/2 cup tomato sauce over the peppers. Cover and bake until the peppers are tender and the filling is heated through, 30 to 35 minutes.
Per serving: 307 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 6 g fiber; 385 mg sodium; 588 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (230% daily value), Iron & Vitamin A (20% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less