Lean ground turkey makes a moist, low-fat substitute for the ground beef that's usually found in stuffed pepper filling. To add a nutty flavor and boost the nutrition even further, we call for cooked brown rice, but this recipe will also work with white rice.
- 4 large green bell peppers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce, (1 cup), divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt, (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut out stem ends of bell peppers and discard. Scoop out seeds. Bring 8 cups water to a boil in a large pot and blanch the peppers until tender-crisp, about 1 minute. Drain and cool under cold running water. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add turkey and cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, just until it loses its pink color, about 2 minutes. Drain the fat.
- Transfer the turkey mixture to a medium bowl and mix in rice, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, parsley, salt (if using) and pepper. Stuff the peppers with the mixture and place them in a 2-quart casserole dish. Spoon the remaining 1/2 cup tomato sauce over the peppers. Cover and bake until the peppers are tender and the filling is heated through, 30 to 35 minutes.
Per serving: 327 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 84 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 25 g protein; 6 g fiber; 354 mg sodium; 805 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (232% daily value), Vitamin A (20% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetables, 3 lean protein, 1 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient