Stuffed Fresh Sardines
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this stuffed sardine recipe, fresh sardines get a cheesy filling before being cooked in olive oil. Serve as a first course or with a salad for an easy supper.
- 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 large eggs, divided
- Zest of 1 lemon, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 12 medium fresh sardines, gutted, head and tail left on
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine ricotta, Romano, fresh breadcrumbs, parsley, 1 egg, lemon zest and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Rinse sardines and pat dry. Season the insides with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Stuff each sardine with about 2 teaspoons of the cheese mixture.
- Place flour in one shallow dish, the remaining 2 eggs (lightly beaten) in a second shallow dish and panko in a third dish. Dip the sardines in the flour, then the egg, then the panko.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Fry the sardines, in batches, until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes per side, reducing the heat as needed. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges.
Per serving: 420 calories; 26 g fat (5 g sat, 16 g mono); 170 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g total sugars; 26 g protein; 1 g fiber; 423 mg sodium; 366 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin B12 (62% daily value), Calcium (16% dv), Zinc (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 3 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Healthy Frying
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2014