Stuffed Fresh Sardines
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this stuffed sardine recipe, fresh sardines get a cheesy filling before being cooked in olive oil. Serve as a first course or with a salad for an easy supper.
- 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 large eggs, divided
- Zest of 1 lemon, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 12 medium fresh sardines, gutted, head and tail left on
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine ricotta, Romano, fresh breadcrumbs, parsley, 1 egg, lemon zest and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Rinse sardines and pat dry. Season the insides with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Stuff each sardine with about 2 teaspoons of the cheese mixture.
- Place flour in one shallow dish, the remaining 2 eggs (lightly beaten) in a second shallow dish and panko in a third dish. Dip the sardines in the flour, then the egg, then the panko.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Fry the sardines, in batches, until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes per side, reducing the heat as needed. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges.
Per serving: 420 calories; 26 g fat (5 g sat, 16 g mono); 170 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g total sugars; 26 g protein; 1 g fiber; 423 mg sodium; 366 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin B12 (62% daily value), Calcium (16% dv), Zinc (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 3 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Healthy Frying
- September/October 2014