Stuffed Fresh Sardines
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this stuffed sardine recipe, fresh sardines get a cheesy filling before being cooked in olive oil. Serve as a first course or with a salad for an easy supper.
- 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 large eggs, divided
- Zest of 1 lemon, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 12 medium fresh sardines, gutted, head and tail left on
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine ricotta, Romano, fresh breadcrumbs, parsley, 1 egg, lemon zest and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Rinse sardines and pat dry. Season the insides with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Stuff each sardine with about 2 teaspoons of the cheese mixture.
- Place flour in one shallow dish, the remaining 2 eggs (lightly beaten) in a second shallow dish and panko in a third dish. Dip the sardines in the flour, then the egg, then the panko.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Fry the sardines, in batches, until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes per side, reducing the heat as needed. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges.
Per serving: 420 calories; 26 g fat (5 g sat, 16 g mono); 170 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 1 g fiber; 423 mg sodium; 366 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin B12 (62% daily value), Calcium (16% dv), Zinc (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat Meat, 3 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Healthy Frying
- September/October 2014