Stuffed Fresh Sardines
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this stuffed sardine recipe, fresh sardines get a cheesy filling before being cooked in olive oil. Serve as a first course or with a salad for an easy supper.
- 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 large eggs, divided
- Zest of 1 lemon, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 12 medium fresh sardines, gutted, head and tail left on
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine ricotta, Romano, fresh breadcrumbs, parsley, 1 egg, lemon zest and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Rinse sardines and pat dry. Season the insides with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Stuff each sardine with about 2 teaspoons of the cheese mixture.
- Place flour in one shallow dish, the remaining 2 eggs (lightly beaten) in a second shallow dish and panko in a third dish. Dip the sardines in the flour, then the egg, then the panko.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Fry the sardines, in batches, until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes per side, reducing the heat as needed. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges.
Per serving: 420 calories; 26 g fat (5 g sat, 16 g mono); 170 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g total sugars; 26 g protein; 1 g fiber; 423 mg sodium; 366 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin B12 (62% daily value), Calcium (16% dv), Zinc (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 3 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Healthy Frying
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2014