Stuffed Delicata Squash for Two
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
In this Tex-Mex-seasoned stuffed delicata squash recipe, half of the ground beef is swapped out for bulgur to reduce saturated fat without cutting back on the amount of stuffing.
- 1 small delicata squash (about 12 ounces), halved and seeded
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 cup bulgur
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 4 ounces lean ground beef (90% or leaner)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons toasted pepitas (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Brush the cut sides of the squash with 1 teaspoon oil and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Place facedown in a small baking pan. Bake until tender and browned on the edges, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring bulgur and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add beef, chili powder and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring and breaking up chunks with a spoon, until the meat is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the bulgur and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in yogurt.
- Spoon about 3/4 cup filling into each squash half. Serve sprinkled with pepitas.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast small seeds: Heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add seeds and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
Per serving: 344 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 44 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 22 g protein; 10 g fiber; 445 mg sodium; 874 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (347% daily value), Vitamin C (39% dv), Zinc (30% dv), Magnesium (28% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (21% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- January/February 2014