Stuffed Delicata Squash for Two
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
In this Tex-Mex-seasoned stuffed delicata squash recipe, half of the ground beef is swapped out for bulgur to reduce saturated fat without cutting back on the amount of stuffing.
- 1 small delicata squash (about 12 ounces), halved and seeded
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 cup bulgur
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 4 ounces lean ground beef (90% or leaner)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons toasted pepitas (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Brush the cut sides of the squash with 1 teaspoon oil and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Place facedown in a small baking pan. Bake until tender and browned on the edges, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring bulgur and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add beef, chili powder and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring and breaking up chunks with a spoon, until the meat is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the bulgur and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in yogurt.
- Spoon about 3/4 cup filling into each squash half. Serve sprinkled with pepitas.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast small seeds: Heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add seeds and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
Per serving: 344 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 44 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 22 g protein; 10 g fiber; 445 mg sodium; 874 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (347% daily value), Vitamin C (39% dv), Zinc (30% dv), Magnesium (28% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (21% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2014