Stuffed Delicata Squash
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
In this Tex-Mex-seasoned stuffed delicata squash recipe we swap out half of the ground beef you’d normally use for bulgur to reduce saturated fat without skimping on the amount of stuffing. Serve with a mixed green salad with cilantro vinaigrette.
- 2 small delicata squash (about 12 ounces each), halved and seeded
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 cup water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces lean ground beef (90% or leaner)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 4 teaspoons toasted pepitas (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Brush the cut sides of the squash with 2 teaspoons oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place facedown on a large baking sheet. Bake until tender and browned on the edges, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring bulgur and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat the remaining 4 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add beef, chili powder and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until the meat is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the bulgur and cook 1 minute. Stir in yogurt.
- Spoon about 3/4 cup filling into each squash half. Serve sprinkled with pepitas.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: For the best flavor, toast chopped nuts or seeds: Heat a dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts or seeds and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 344 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 44 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 22 g protein; 10 g fiber; 443 mg sodium; 874 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (347% daily value), Vitamin C (39% dv), Zinc (30% dv), Magnesium (28% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (21% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2014