Stuffed Delicata Squash
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
In this Tex-Mex-seasoned stuffed delicata squash recipe we swap out half of the ground beef you’d normally use for bulgur to reduce saturated fat without skimping on the amount of stuffing. Serve with a mixed green salad with cilantro vinaigrette.Add to lose it
- 2 small delicata squash (about 12 ounces each), halved and seeded
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 cup water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces lean ground beef (90% or leaner)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 4 teaspoons toasted pepitas (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Brush the cut sides of the squash with 2 teaspoons oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place facedown on a large baking sheet. Bake until tender and browned on the edges, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring bulgur and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat the remaining 4 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add beef, chili powder and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until the meat is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the bulgur and cook 1 minute. Stir in yogurt.
- Spoon about 3/4 cup filling into each squash half. Serve sprinkled with pepitas.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: For the best flavor, toast chopped nuts or seeds: Heat a dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts or seeds and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 344 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 44 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 22 g protein; 10 g fiber; 443 mg sodium; 874 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (347% daily value), Vitamin C (39% dv), Zinc (30% dv), Magnesium (28% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (21% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2014