String Beans & Summer Squash
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
In this summery recipe for summer squash and green beans, cooking the string beans and summer squash in a little seasoned broth adds flavor with minimal effort. Try any fresh herb you have on hand and swap yellow summer squash for zucchini if you prefer.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound green and/or yellow wax beans, trimmed and halved
- 1 large summer squash, halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or 2 teaspoons fresh chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beans, squash, garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth, cover and reduce the heat to medium. Cook until the beans are tender-crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in marjoram.
Per serving: 59 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 145 mg sodium; 275 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (29% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2012