String Beans & Summer Squash
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
In this summery recipe for summer squash and green beans, cooking the string beans and summer squash in a little seasoned broth adds flavor with minimal effort. Try any fresh herb you have on hand and swap yellow summer squash for zucchini if you prefer.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound green and/or yellow wax beans, trimmed and halved
- 1 large summer squash, halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or 2 teaspoons fresh chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beans, squash, garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth, cover and reduce the heat to medium. Cook until the beans are tender-crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in marjoram.
Per serving: 59 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 145 mg sodium; 275 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (29% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2012