String Beans & Summer Squash
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
In this summery recipe for summer squash and green beans, cooking the string beans and summer squash in a little seasoned broth adds flavor with minimal effort. Try any fresh herb you have on hand and swap yellow summer squash for zucchini if you prefer.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound green and/or yellow wax beans, trimmed and halved
- 1 large summer squash, halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or 2 teaspoons fresh chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beans, squash, garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth, cover and reduce the heat to medium. Cook until the beans are tender-crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in marjoram.
Per serving: 59 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 145 mg sodium; 275 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (29% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2012