From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Pure vanilla extract makes this strawberry sorbet recipe special. You can use freshly picked or frozen strawberries for this perfect cooling dessert.
- 6 cups hulled strawberries (about 2 pounds), fresh or frozen (see Tips)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Puree strawberries in a food processor until smooth.
- Combine water, lemon juice, vanilla and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring, until sugar has dissolved.
- Stir the syrup into the fruit puree. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator until cold, about 4 hours.
- Pour the sorbet mixture into an ice cream maker. (No ice cream maker? See Tips.) Freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Let soften slightly before serving.
- Tips: If using frozen fruit, measure it frozen and then thaw before pureeing.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, freeze the mixture in a shallow metal cake pan or ice cube trays until solid, about 6 hours. Break into chunks and process in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
Per 1/2 cup: 99 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 14 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 193 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (122% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, frozen
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2013