Try this slimmed down summer favorite at your next outdoor gathering.
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 cup unsifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk, for brushing
- 1 tablespoon sugar, for sprinkling
- To make filling: If strawberries are large, slice them. Put the strawberries in a bowl, sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar and refrigerate while you bake shortcakes.
- Blend yogurt and sour cream in a small bowl; set aside in the refrigerator.
- To make shortcakes: Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine buttermilk and oil and set aside. Whisk flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Using your fingertips or 2 knives, cut butter into the dry ingredients until crumbly. Make a well in the center and gradually pour in the reserved buttermilk/oil mixture, stirring with a fork just until combined.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and sprinkle with a little flour. Lightly knead the dough 8 times, then pat or roll out to an even 3/4-inch thickness. Use a 2 1/2-inch round or star cookie cutter to cut out 8 shortcakes. Transfer them to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- To bake & assemble shortcakes: Bake the shortcakes until golden, 12 to 16 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool slightly.
- Split the shortcakes with a serrated knife. Set the bottoms on dessert plates, spread with some of the yogurt cream, spoon on the strawberries and juices and crown with the shortcake lids. Top with a dollop of yogurt cream and serve.
Per serving: 280 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 366 mg sodium; 248 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (71% daily value), Folate (17% dv), Calcium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique