From EatingWell: May/June 2008
Spring's best combo—strawberries and rhubarb—fill this simple strudel for two.
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh or frozen (not thawed) rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons instant tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 sheets (9-by-14-inch) phyllo dough, thawed according to package directions (see Tip for Two)
- 5 teaspoons walnut oil, or canola oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine strawberries, rhubarb, 2 tablespoons sugar, flour, tapioca, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl.
- Unroll phyllo sheets onto a clean, dry surface, keeping them in a stack. Cover with a sheet of wax paper and then a damp kitchen towel. (Keep the phyllo covered to prevent it from drying out while you work.) Take one sheet of phyllo from the stack and place it on another clean, dry surface with a short side closest to you. Starting at the center and working toward the edges, lightly brush the sheet with oil. Lay another sheet of phyllo on top and brush with oil; repeat with the remaining sheets of phyllo.
- Mound the strawberry-rhubarb filling on the lower third of the phyllo stack, leaving a 2-inch border at the bottom and sides. Fold the long edges in toward the center and, starting at the short edge nearest you, roll the filling and phyllo into a cylinder. Roll up firmly but not too tightly, to allow a little room for expansion.
- Brush the strudel with oil and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Carefully transfer the strudel to the prepared baking sheet, placing it seam-side down. Poke several steam vents in the top using the tip of a sharp knife.
- Bake the strudel until golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool on the pan for 10 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Tip for Two: The 9-by-14-inch pieces of phyllo (or fillo or filo) dough are just the right size when making desserts for two, but phyllo comes in a variety of sizes. Trim larger sheets to approximately the right size. Leftovers: Each box of phyllo has more sheets than you'll need for a small dessert. Store defrosted phyllo in the refrigerator or freezer. Simply remove the sheets you need, reroll the rest, wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for up to 1 month or freeze up to 9 months.
Per serving: 346 calories; 15 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 377 mg sodium; 239 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrates, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- May/June 2008
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)