Strawberry-Rhubarb Quinoa Pudding
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Think of quinoa pudding as a delicious whole-grain cousin of tapioca pudding. This healthy quinoa pudding recipe is flavored with tart rhubarb and sweet strawberries and topped with sweetened, creamy yogurt for a delicious, healthy dessert.
- 2 1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup chopped strawberries, fresh or frozen, plus more for garnish
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine 2 cups water in a medium saucepan with rhubarb, strawberries, quinoa, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and cook until the quinoa is tender, about 25 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar and lemon zest. Whisk cornstarch with the remaining 1/4 cup water in a small bowl. Stir into the quinoa mixture, return to a simmer and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Divide the pudding among 6 bowls. Refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour.
- Just before serving, combine yogurt, vanilla and the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in a small bowl. Top each serving with a generous dollop of the vanilla yogurt and fresh strawberries, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare pudding (Steps 1-2), cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Make the topping (Step 3) just before serving.
Per serving: 151 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 19 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 43 mg sodium; 189 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (33% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- March/April 2013