Strawberry-Rhubarb Quinoa Pudding
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Think of quinoa pudding as a delicious whole-grain cousin of tapioca pudding. This healthy quinoa pudding recipe is flavored with tart rhubarb and sweet strawberries and topped with sweetened, creamy yogurt for a delicious, healthy dessert.
- 2 1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup chopped strawberries, fresh or frozen, plus more for garnish
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine 2 cups water in a medium saucepan with rhubarb, strawberries, quinoa, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and cook until the quinoa is tender, about 25 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar and lemon zest. Whisk cornstarch with the remaining 1/4 cup water in a small bowl. Stir into the quinoa mixture, return to a simmer and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Divide the pudding among 6 bowls. Refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour.
- Just before serving, combine yogurt, vanilla and the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in a small bowl. Top each serving with a generous dollop of the vanilla yogurt and fresh strawberries, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare pudding (Steps 1-2), cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Make the topping (Step 3) just before serving.
Per serving: 151 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 19 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 43 mg sodium; 189 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (33% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013