Strawberry-Rhubarb Quinoa Pudding
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Think of quinoa pudding as a delicious whole-grain cousin of tapioca pudding. This healthy quinoa pudding recipe is flavored with tart rhubarb and sweet strawberries and topped with sweetened, creamy yogurt for a delicious, healthy dessert.
- 2 1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup chopped strawberries, fresh or frozen, plus more for garnish
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine 2 cups water in a medium saucepan with rhubarb, strawberries, quinoa, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and cook until the quinoa is tender, about 25 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar and lemon zest. Whisk cornstarch with the remaining 1/4 cup water in a small bowl. Stir into the quinoa mixture, return to a simmer and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Divide the pudding among 6 bowls. Refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour.
- Just before serving, combine yogurt, vanilla and the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in a small bowl. Top each serving with a generous dollop of the vanilla yogurt and fresh strawberries, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare pudding (Steps 1-2), cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Make the topping (Step 3) just before serving.
Per serving: 151 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 19 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 43 mg sodium; 189 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (33% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013