Strawberry Meringue Cake
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This light, flourless cake recipe features crispy, chewy rounds of almond meringue layered with strawberries and whipped cream. For the best results, avoid making the meringue layers on an overly humid or rainy day. The moisture prevents proper crisping.
- 1 cup blanched slivered almonds
- 1 1/4 cups sugar plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 6 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound strawberries, trimmed and sliced, divided
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 350°F.
- Place almonds on a baking sheet and toast until fragrant and just golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a food processor.
- Reduce oven temperature to 250°.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar to the almonds; pulse until finely ground. Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Increase speed to high and gradually beat in 1 cup sugar. Continue beating until stiff (see Tip). Gently fold in the almond mixture.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Draw an 8-inch circle in the center of each to use as a guide; turn the paper over. Evenly spread about 2 1/2 cups of the meringue into an 8-inch round on each baking sheet. Bake the meringues on the upper and lower racks for 1 hour.
- Reduce oven temperature to 200°. Switch the positions of the baking sheets and continue baking until the meringues feel firm when gently touched, about 1 hour more.
- Turn off the oven and let the meringues sit with the door ajar until cool, about 1 hour. (The exterior may crack in spots as they cool.)
- When ready to assemble the cake, whip cream, the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Carefully transfer one meringue layer to a cake plate and spread with 1/2 cup of the whipped cream. Top with half of the strawberries and another 1/2 cup of whipped cream. Place the second meringue layer over the filling and top with the remaining whipped cream. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
- Just before serving, arrange the remaining strawberries on top of the cake.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store cooled meringue layers (Steps 1-7) in an airtight container in a cool, dry place (not the refrigerator) for up to 1 day. Refrigerate the assembled cake for up to 4 hours.
- When egg whites are beaten to “soft” peaks, the whites will still be soft enough to curl over. The whites are considered “stiff” peaks when they remain stiff and upright in the bowl on the beater.
Per serving: 346 calories; 18 g fat (7 g sat, 7 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 35 g added sugars; 38 g total sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 90 mg sodium; 256 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (53% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 lean meat, 3 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2014
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)