Strawberry Meringue Cake
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This light, flourless cake recipe features crispy, chewy rounds of almond meringue layered with strawberries and whipped cream. For the best results, avoid making the meringue layers on an overly humid or rainy day. The moisture prevents proper crisping.
- 1 cup blanched slivered almonds
- 1 1/4 cups sugar plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 6 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound strawberries, trimmed and sliced, divided
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 350°F.
- Place almonds on a baking sheet and toast until fragrant and just golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a food processor.
- Reduce oven temperature to 250°.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar to the almonds; pulse until finely ground. Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Increase speed to high and gradually beat in 1 cup sugar. Continue beating until stiff (see Tip). Gently fold in the almond mixture.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Draw an 8-inch circle in the center of each to use as a guide; turn the paper over. Evenly spread about 2 1/2 cups of the meringue into an 8-inch round on each baking sheet. Bake the meringues on the upper and lower racks for 1 hour.
- Reduce oven temperature to 200°. Switch the positions of the baking sheets and continue baking until the meringues feel firm when gently touched, about 1 hour more.
- Turn off the oven and let the meringues sit with the door ajar until cool, about 1 hour. (The exterior may crack in spots as they cool.)
- When ready to assemble the cake, whip cream, the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Carefully transfer one meringue layer to a cake plate and spread with 1/2 cup of the whipped cream. Top with half of the strawberries and another 1/2 cup of whipped cream. Place the second meringue layer over the filling and top with the remaining whipped cream. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
- Just before serving, arrange the remaining strawberries on top of the cake.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store cooled meringue layers (Steps 1-7) in an airtight container in a cool, dry place (not the refrigerator) for up to 1 day. Refrigerate the assembled cake for up to 4 hours.
- When egg whites are beaten to “soft” peaks, the whites will still be soft enough to curl over. The whites are considered “stiff” peaks when they remain stiff and upright in the bowl on the beater.
Per serving: 346 calories; 18 g fat (7 g sat, 7 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 35 g added sugars; 38 g total sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 90 mg sodium; 256 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (53% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 lean meat, 3 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2014