Strawberry, Melon & Avocado Salad
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
Nutty and slightly sweet sherry vinegar is a natural partner for strawberries. This composed salad makes a cool kickoff for dinner or a nutrition-packed lunch on its own.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 small avocado, (4-5 ounces), peeled, pitted and cut into 16 slices
- 16 thin slices cantaloupe, (about 1/2 small cantaloupe), rind removed
- 1 1/2 cups hulled strawberries, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- Whisk honey, vinegar, mint, pepper and salt in a small bowl.
- Divide spinach among 4 salad plates. Arrange alternating slices of avocado and cantaloupe in a fan on top of the spinach. Top each salad with strawberries, drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The dressing will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
- Tip: To toast sesame seeds, heat a small dry skillet over low heat. Add sesame seeds and stir constantly until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
Per serving: 202 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 7 g fiber; 90 mg sodium; 503 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Vitamin A (60% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fruit, 1 1/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- June/July 2005
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)