Strawberry, Melon & Avocado Salad
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
Nutty and slightly sweet sherry vinegar is a natural partner for strawberries. This composed salad makes a cool kickoff for dinner or a nutrition-packed lunch on its own.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 small avocado, (4-5 ounces), peeled, pitted and cut into 16 slices
- 16 thin slices cantaloupe, (about 1/2 small cantaloupe), rind removed
- 1 1/2 cups hulled strawberries, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- Whisk honey, vinegar, mint, pepper and salt in a small bowl.
- Divide spinach among 4 salad plates. Arrange alternating slices of avocado and cantaloupe in a fan on top of the spinach. Top each salad with strawberries, drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The dressing will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
- Tip: To toast sesame seeds, heat a small dry skillet over low heat. Add sesame seeds and stir constantly until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
Per serving: 202 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 7 g fiber; 90 mg sodium; 503 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Vitamin A (60% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fruit, 1 1/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- June/July 2005