From EatingWell: June/July 2005
This chilled strawberry dessert gets creaminess and a touch of tanginess from reduced-fat sour cream. Topped with some ruby-red diced strawberries, it makes a delightful ending to any meal.
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 4 cups hulled strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup hulled strawberries, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- To prepare cream: Stir together water and gelatin in a small heatproof cup or bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on High until the gelatin has completely dissolved but the liquid is not boiling, 20 to 30 seconds. (Alternatively, bring 1/2 inch water to a gentle simmer in a small skillet. Set the bowl with the gelatin mixture in the simmering water until the gelatin has dissolved completely.) Stir the mixture until smooth.
- Place strawberries, sugar and vanilla in a food processor and puree. Add sour cream; pulse to combine. With the motor running, slowly add the dissolved gelatin. Pour the cream into four 8-ounce bowls or wineglasses. Cover and refrigerate until set, about 3 hours.
- To prepare topping and serve: Toss diced strawberries and sugar in a small bowl; let stand until slightly juicy, about 2 minutes. Divide among the creams.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Add topping just before serving.
Per serving: 232 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 24 mg sodium; 336 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (180% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- June/July 2005