From EatingWell: June/July 2005
This chilled strawberry dessert gets creaminess and a touch of tanginess from reduced-fat sour cream. Topped with some ruby-red diced strawberries, it makes a delightful ending to any meal.
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 4 cups hulled strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup hulled strawberries, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- To prepare cream: Stir together water and gelatin in a small heatproof cup or bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on High until the gelatin has completely dissolved but the liquid is not boiling, 20 to 30 seconds. (Alternatively, bring 1/2 inch water to a gentle simmer in a small skillet. Set the bowl with the gelatin mixture in the simmering water until the gelatin has dissolved completely.) Stir the mixture until smooth.
- Place strawberries, sugar and vanilla in a food processor and puree. Add sour cream; pulse to combine. With the motor running, slowly add the dissolved gelatin. Pour the cream into four 8-ounce bowls or wineglasses. Cover and refrigerate until set, about 3 hours.
- To prepare topping and serve: Toss diced strawberries and sugar in a small bowl; let stand until slightly juicy, about 2 minutes. Divide among the creams.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Add topping just before serving.
Per serving: 232 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 24 mg sodium; 336 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (180% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- June/July 2005