From EatingWell: June/July 2005
This elegant dessert is the perfect make-ahead finale for a summer dinner party. The strawberries look like ruby-red jewels floating on the rosy wine gelée.
- 3 cups thinly sliced hulled strawberries, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup Chardonnay
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- Set aside 3/4 cup sliced strawberries. Stir together the remaining berries and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Place Chardonnay in a microwave-safe cup and microwave on High until hot but not boiling, about 1 1/2 minutes. Pour over the strawberry-sugar mixture. Mash the berries with a potato masher to break them down and help release the juices. Let stand for 2 hours to infuse the wine with the berry juice.
- Transfer the mashed berries to a fine sieve set over a large measuring cup or bowl; press on the solids to extract any remaining juice. Add enough water to the berry juice to make 2 cups total.
- Stir together lemon juice and gelatin in a small heatproof cup or bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on High until the gelatin has completely dissolved but the liquid is not boiling, 20 to 30 seconds. (Alternatively, bring 1/2 inch water to a gentle simmer in a small skillet. Set the bowl with the gelatin mixture in the simmering water until the gelatin has dissolved completely.) Stir the mixture, then whisk into the berry juice.
- Set the gelée in the freezer. Stir every 5 minutes until thick but not completely set, 20 to 30 minutes total. Divide among four 8-ounce bowls or wineglasses. Top each gelée with an equal portion of the reserved strawberries. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until completely set, about 4 hours or overnight.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 177 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 7 mg sodium; 216 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (108% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- June/July 2005