From EatingWell: June/July 2005
This elegant dessert is the perfect make-ahead finale for a summer dinner party. The strawberries look like ruby-red jewels floating on the rosy wine gelée.
- 3 cups thinly sliced hulled strawberries, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup Chardonnay
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- Set aside 3/4 cup sliced strawberries. Stir together the remaining berries and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Place Chardonnay in a microwave-safe cup and microwave on High until hot but not boiling, about 1 1/2 minutes. Pour over the strawberry-sugar mixture. Mash the berries with a potato masher to break them down and help release the juices. Let stand for 2 hours to infuse the wine with the berry juice.
- Transfer the mashed berries to a fine sieve set over a large measuring cup or bowl; press on the solids to extract any remaining juice. Add enough water to the berry juice to make 2 cups total.
- Stir together lemon juice and gelatin in a small heatproof cup or bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on High until the gelatin has completely dissolved but the liquid is not boiling, 20 to 30 seconds. (Alternatively, bring 1/2 inch water to a gentle simmer in a small skillet. Set the bowl with the gelatin mixture in the simmering water until the gelatin has dissolved completely.) Stir the mixture, then whisk into the berry juice.
- Set the gelée in the freezer. Stir every 5 minutes until thick but not completely set, 20 to 30 minutes total. Divide among four 8-ounce bowls or wineglasses. Top each gelée with an equal portion of the reserved strawberries. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until completely set, about 4 hours or overnight.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 177 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 7 mg sodium; 216 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (108% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- June/July 2005