From EatingWell: June/July 2005
Astoundingly good for minimal effort, this makes an indulgent weekend breakfast or anyday dessert. A judicious smear of mascarpone (half the fat of butter) is part of the luxury, but even lighter low-fat cream cheese will work as well. The real secret is warming the berries just enough to make the flavor bloom and transform their juices into a rosy syrup.
- 4 thick slices whole-wheat bread
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups sliced or diced hulled strawberries
- 4 tablespoons mascarpone, (Italian cream cheese)
- Toast bread in a toaster.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over high heat. Add sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice and cook, stirring, until the sugar melts and the mixture begins to bubble, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add strawberries and stir until juices begin to exude and the berries are heated through, 30 seconds to 1 minute more.
- Spread 1 tablespoon mascarpone on each piece of toast. Top with the warm berries.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the sauce (Step 2), cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat, microwave on High for about 1 minute (defrost first, if necessary).
Per serving: 203 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 152 mg sodium; 240 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (108% daily value), Selenium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 1 fat (sat)
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- June/July 2005