Strawberry-Black Pepper Tart for Two
From EatingWell: June/July 2006
Black pepper gives sweet strawberries a kick in this free-form tart. Expect some of the strawberry juices to ooze over the top of the crust while baking.
- Crust for Two (recipe follows)
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare Crust for Two.
- Place parchment paper or a silicone baking mat on a work surface, dust with flour and turn the dough out onto it. Dust the dough with flour and roll into a rough 9-inch circle, dusting with flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Transfer paper or mat and the crust to a baking sheet.
- Toss strawberries with sugar, 1 teaspoon flour, cornstarch, pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Mound the strawberry mixture in the center of the crust, leaving about a 2-inch border around the outside. Pick up the edges of the crust using a spatula and fold over the berries. (The crust will not meet in the center.)
- Bake the tart until the crust is lightly browned and the filling is bubbling, 40 to 42 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Find 6-inch tart pans with a removable bottom at Sur La Table, (800) 243-0852, www.surlatable.com.
- Look for whole-wheat pastry flour in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Sources include King Arthur Flour, (800) 827-6836, www.bakerscatalogue.com, and Bob's Red Mill, (800) 349-2173, www.bobsredmill.com.
Per serving: 311 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 220 mg sodium; 207 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), Fiber (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- June/July 2006