Strawberry-Black Pepper Tart for Two
From EatingWell: June/July 2006
Black pepper gives sweet strawberries a kick in this free-form tart. Expect some of the strawberry juices to ooze over the top of the crust while baking.
- Crust for Two (recipe follows)
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare Crust for Two.
- Place parchment paper or a silicone baking mat on a work surface, dust with flour and turn the dough out onto it. Dust the dough with flour and roll into a rough 9-inch circle, dusting with flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Transfer paper or mat and the crust to a baking sheet.
- Toss strawberries with sugar, 1 teaspoon flour, cornstarch, pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Mound the strawberry mixture in the center of the crust, leaving about a 2-inch border around the outside. Pick up the edges of the crust using a spatula and fold over the berries. (The crust will not meet in the center.)
- Bake the tart until the crust is lightly browned and the filling is bubbling, 40 to 42 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Find 6-inch tart pans with a removable bottom at Sur La Table, (800) 243-0852, www.surlatable.com.
- Look for whole-wheat pastry flour in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Sources include King Arthur Flour, (800) 827-6836, www.bakerscatalogue.com, and Bob's Red Mill, (800) 349-2173, www.bobsredmill.com.
Per serving: 311 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 220 mg sodium; 207 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), Fiber (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- June/July 2006