Strawberry-Black Pepper Tart for Two
From EatingWell: June/July 2006
Black pepper gives sweet strawberries a kick in this free-form tart. Expect some of the strawberry juices to ooze over the top of the crust while baking.
- Crust for Two (recipe follows)
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare Crust for Two.
- Place parchment paper or a silicone baking mat on a work surface, dust with flour and turn the dough out onto it. Dust the dough with flour and roll into a rough 9-inch circle, dusting with flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Transfer paper or mat and the crust to a baking sheet.
- Toss strawberries with sugar, 1 teaspoon flour, cornstarch, pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Mound the strawberry mixture in the center of the crust, leaving about a 2-inch border around the outside. Pick up the edges of the crust using a spatula and fold over the berries. (The crust will not meet in the center.)
- Bake the tart until the crust is lightly browned and the filling is bubbling, 40 to 42 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Find 6-inch tart pans with a removable bottom at Sur La Table, (800) 243-0852, www.surlatable.com.
- Look for whole-wheat pastry flour in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Sources include King Arthur Flour, (800) 827-6836, www.bakerscatalogue.com, and Bob's Red Mill, (800) 349-2173, www.bobsredmill.com.
Per serving: 311 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 220 mg sodium; 207 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), Fiber (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- June/July 2006