Strawberry-Black Pepper Tart for Two
From EatingWell: June/July 2006
Black pepper gives sweet strawberries a kick in this free-form tart. Expect some of the strawberry juices to ooze over the top of the crust while baking.
- Crust for Two (recipe follows)
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare Crust for Two.
- Place parchment paper or a silicone baking mat on a work surface, dust with flour and turn the dough out onto it. Dust the dough with flour and roll into a rough 9-inch circle, dusting with flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Transfer paper or mat and the crust to a baking sheet.
- Toss strawberries with sugar, 1 teaspoon flour, cornstarch, pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Mound the strawberry mixture in the center of the crust, leaving about a 2-inch border around the outside. Pick up the edges of the crust using a spatula and fold over the berries. (The crust will not meet in the center.)
- Bake the tart until the crust is lightly browned and the filling is bubbling, 40 to 42 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Find 6-inch tart pans with a removable bottom at Sur La Table, (800) 243-0852, www.surlatable.com.
- Look for whole-wheat pastry flour in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Sources include King Arthur Flour, (800) 827-6836, www.bakerscatalogue.com, and Bob's Red Mill, (800) 349-2173, www.bobsredmill.com.
Per serving: 311 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 220 mg sodium; 207 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), Fiber (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- June/July 2006