Strawberry-Black Pepper Tart for Two
From EatingWell: June/July 2006
Black pepper gives sweet strawberries a kick in this free-form tart. Expect some of the strawberry juices to ooze over the top of the crust while baking.
- Crust for Two (recipe follows)
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare Crust for Two.
- Place parchment paper or a silicone baking mat on a work surface, dust with flour and turn the dough out onto it. Dust the dough with flour and roll into a rough 9-inch circle, dusting with flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Transfer paper or mat and the crust to a baking sheet.
- Toss strawberries with sugar, 1 teaspoon flour, cornstarch, pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Mound the strawberry mixture in the center of the crust, leaving about a 2-inch border around the outside. Pick up the edges of the crust using a spatula and fold over the berries. (The crust will not meet in the center.)
- Bake the tart until the crust is lightly browned and the filling is bubbling, 40 to 42 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Find 6-inch tart pans with a removable bottom at Sur La Table, (800) 243-0852, www.surlatable.com.
- Look for whole-wheat pastry flour in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Sources include King Arthur Flour, (800) 827-6836, www.bakerscatalogue.com, and Bob's Red Mill, (800) 349-2173, www.bobsredmill.com.
Per serving: 311 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 220 mg sodium; 207 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), Fiber (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- June/July 2006