Vanilla Strawberries with Lemon Ricotta
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
Simple and perfect, this strawberry-and-ricotta dessert recipe dresses up the basic combination of strawberries and ricotta just a bit, but it’s still quite unadorned, so make it when you have great strawberries. Part-skim ricotta is used to keep calories and saturated fat in check in this easy dessert, but for a real indulgence try it with whole-milk ricotta.
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons honey, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- If using vanilla bean, halve lengthwise. Using the tip of a small sharp knife, scrape the seeds from the pod into a medium bowl. Add honey, lemon juice and salt (and vanilla extract if not using a vanilla bean); whisk until well combined. Add strawberries and stir to combine. Let stand at room temperature for at least 15 minutes and up to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Just before serving, combine ricotta and lemon zest in another bowl.
- Taste the strawberry mixture; if it’s too tart, add a little more honey. To serve, spoon 1/2 cup of the ricotta into each of 4 dessert bowls and top each with about 1/3 cup of the strawberries. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare Step 1 up to 2 hours ahead.
Per serving: 259 calories; 10 g fat (6 g sat, 3 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 13 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 193 mg sodium; 337 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (114% daily value), Calcium (36% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fruit, 2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2013