Vanilla Strawberries with Lemon Ricotta
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
Simple and perfect, this strawberry-and-ricotta dessert recipe dresses up the basic combination of strawberries and ricotta just a bit, but it’s still quite unadorned, so make it when you have great strawberries. Part-skim ricotta is used to keep calories and saturated fat in check in this easy dessert, but for a real indulgence try it with whole-milk ricotta.
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons honey, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- If using vanilla bean, halve lengthwise. Using the tip of a small sharp knife, scrape the seeds from the pod into a medium bowl. Add honey, lemon juice and salt (and vanilla extract if not using a vanilla bean); whisk until well combined. Add strawberries and stir to combine. Let stand at room temperature for at least 15 minutes and up to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Just before serving, combine ricotta and lemon zest in another bowl.
- Taste the strawberry mixture; if it’s too tart, add a little more honey. To serve, spoon 1/2 cup of the ricotta into each of 4 dessert bowls and top each with about 1/3 cup of the strawberries. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare Step 1 up to 2 hours ahead.
Per serving: 259 calories; 10 g fat (6 g sat, 3 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 13 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 193 mg sodium; 337 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (114% daily value), Calcium (36% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fruit, 2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2013