Vanilla Strawberries with Lemon Ricotta
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
Simple and perfect, this strawberry-and-ricotta dessert recipe dresses up the basic combination of strawberries and ricotta just a bit, but it’s still quite unadorned, so make it when you have great strawberries. Part-skim ricotta is used to keep calories and saturated fat in check in this easy dessert, but for a real indulgence try it with whole-milk ricotta.
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons honey, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- If using vanilla bean, halve lengthwise. Using the tip of a small sharp knife, scrape the seeds from the pod into a medium bowl. Add honey, lemon juice and salt (and vanilla extract if not using a vanilla bean); whisk until well combined. Add strawberries and stir to combine. Let stand at room temperature for at least 15 minutes and up to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Just before serving, combine ricotta and lemon zest in another bowl.
- Taste the strawberry mixture; if it’s too tart, add a little more honey. To serve, spoon 1/2 cup of the ricotta into each of 4 dessert bowls and top each with about 1/3 cup of the strawberries. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare Step 1 up to 2 hours ahead.
Per serving: 259 calories; 10 g fat (6 g sat, 3 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 13 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 193 mg sodium; 337 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (114% daily value), Calcium (36% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fruit, 2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2013