Vanilla Strawberries with Lemon Ricotta
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
Simple and perfect, this strawberry-and-ricotta dessert recipe dresses up the basic combination of strawberries and ricotta just a bit, but it’s still quite unadorned, so make it when you have great strawberries. Part-skim ricotta is used to keep calories and saturated fat in check in this easy dessert, but for a real indulgence try it with whole-milk ricotta.
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons honey, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- If using vanilla bean, halve lengthwise. Using the tip of a small sharp knife, scrape the seeds from the pod into a medium bowl. Add honey, lemon juice and salt (and vanilla extract if not using a vanilla bean); whisk until well combined. Add strawberries and stir to combine. Let stand at room temperature for at least 15 minutes and up to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Just before serving, combine ricotta and lemon zest in another bowl.
- Taste the strawberry mixture; if it’s too tart, add a little more honey. To serve, spoon 1/2 cup of the ricotta into each of 4 dessert bowls and top each with about 1/3 cup of the strawberries. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare Step 1 up to 2 hours ahead.
Per serving: 259 calories; 10 g fat (6 g sat, 3 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 13 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 193 mg sodium; 337 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (114% daily value), Calcium (36% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fruit, 2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2013