To celebrate spring's fresh strawberries, our Test Kitchen jazzed up old-fashioned tapioca pudding. Grinding the tapioca in a blender makes the texture creamier, maple syrup adds seasonal sweetness and whipping cream gives these airy parfaits a luxurious finish.
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 cups low-fat milk, or unsweetened plain soymilk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 6 sprigs fresh mint, for garnish
- Grind tapioca in a blender or coffee grinder until it is a fine granular powder.
- Whisk milk (or soymilk), maple syrup, egg and the tapioca in a small heavy saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture comes to a full boil. Remove from the heat, stir in vanilla and transfer to a medium bowl. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface. Refrigerate until chilled, about 3 hours or overnight.
- Whip cream using an electric mixer or whisk in a chilled bowl until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the tapioca mixture using a rubber spatula.
- Spoon 1/4 cup strawberries into each of six 8-ounce parfait glasses or wineglasses. Top each with 1/3 cup tapioca cream. Repeat with another layer of strawberries and tapioca cream. Garnish with the remaining berries and a sprig of mint.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 up to 1 day ahead. Once assembled, serve immediately or cover and chill for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 256 calories; 9 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 76 mg sodium; 439 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (110% daily value), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour