To celebrate spring's fresh strawberries, our Test Kitchen jazzed up old-fashioned tapioca pudding. Grinding the tapioca in a blender makes the texture creamier, maple syrup adds seasonal sweetness and whipping cream gives these airy parfaits a luxurious finish.
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 cups low-fat milk, or unsweetened plain soymilk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 6 sprigs fresh mint, for garnish
- Grind tapioca in a blender or coffee grinder until it is a fine granular powder.
- Whisk milk (or soymilk), maple syrup, egg and the tapioca in a small heavy saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture comes to a full boil. Remove from the heat, stir in vanilla and transfer to a medium bowl. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface. Refrigerate until chilled, about 3 hours or overnight.
- Whip cream using an electric mixer or whisk in a chilled bowl until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the tapioca mixture using a rubber spatula.
- Spoon 1/4 cup strawberries into each of six 8-ounce parfait glasses or wineglasses. Top each with 1/3 cup tapioca cream. Repeat with another layer of strawberries and tapioca cream. Garnish with the remaining berries and a sprig of mint.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 up to 1 day ahead. Once assembled, serve immediately or cover and chill for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 256 calories; 9 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 76 mg sodium; 439 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (110% daily value), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour