To celebrate spring's fresh strawberries, our Test Kitchen jazzed up old-fashioned tapioca pudding. Grinding the tapioca in a blender makes the texture creamier, maple syrup adds seasonal sweetness and whipping cream gives these airy parfaits a luxurious finish.
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 cups low-fat milk, or unsweetened plain soymilk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 6 sprigs fresh mint, for garnish
- Grind tapioca in a blender or coffee grinder until it is a fine granular powder.
- Whisk milk (or soymilk), maple syrup, egg and the tapioca in a small heavy saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture comes to a full boil. Remove from the heat, stir in vanilla and transfer to a medium bowl. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface. Refrigerate until chilled, about 3 hours or overnight.
- Whip cream using an electric mixer or whisk in a chilled bowl until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the tapioca mixture using a rubber spatula.
- Spoon 1/4 cup strawberries into each of six 8-ounce parfait glasses or wineglasses. Top each with 1/3 cup tapioca cream. Repeat with another layer of strawberries and tapioca cream. Garnish with the remaining berries and a sprig of mint.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 up to 1 day ahead. Once assembled, serve immediately or cover and chill for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 256 calories; 9 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 76 mg sodium; 439 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (110% daily value), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour