A colorful and unusual finale to dinner, and great for breakfast as well.
- 6 cups plus 2 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dried peaches, diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine 6 cups water, apricots, peaches, sugar, cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the fruit is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir together cornstarch and the remaining 2 tablespoons water in a small dish. Add the cornstarch mixture to the simmering soup, stirring constantly until the soup thickens slightly. Remove from the heat and stir in cherries and lemon juice. Cover the pan and let the cherries plump for about 15 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean before serving.
Per serving: 155 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 429 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (33% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation