A colorful and unusual finale to dinner, and great for breakfast as well.
- 6 cups plus 2 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dried peaches, diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine 6 cups water, apricots, peaches, sugar, cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the fruit is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir together cornstarch and the remaining 2 tablespoons water in a small dish. Add the cornstarch mixture to the simmering soup, stirring constantly until the soup thickens slightly. Remove from the heat and stir in cherries and lemon juice. Cover the pan and let the cherries plump for about 15 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean before serving.
Per serving: 155 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 429 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (33% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique