A colorful and unusual finale to dinner, and great for breakfast as well.
- 6 cups plus 2 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dried peaches, diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine 6 cups water, apricots, peaches, sugar, cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the fruit is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir together cornstarch and the remaining 2 tablespoons water in a small dish. Add the cornstarch mixture to the simmering soup, stirring constantly until the soup thickens slightly. Remove from the heat and stir in cherries and lemon juice. Cover the pan and let the cherries plump for about 15 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean before serving.
Per serving: 155 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 429 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (33% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less