A colorful and unusual finale to dinner, and great for breakfast as well.
- 6 cups plus 2 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dried peaches, diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine 6 cups water, apricots, peaches, sugar, cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the fruit is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir together cornstarch and the remaining 2 tablespoons water in a small dish. Add the cornstarch mixture to the simmering soup, stirring constantly until the soup thickens slightly. Remove from the heat and stir in cherries and lemon juice. Cover the pan and let the cherries plump for about 15 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean before serving.
Per serving: 155 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 429 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (33% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation