Stir-Fry of Pork with Vietnamese Flavors
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
This easy stir-fry explores the exquisite flavors of Vietnamese cuisine.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 serrano or jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups finely sliced onions, (2-4 onions)
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh cilantro leaves
- Combine ginger, peppers, garlic, 1 tablespoon of the fish sauce, 1 tablespoon of the orange juice, cornstarch and black pepper in a shallow dish. Add pork and toss to coat it with marinade. Set aside to marinate for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Mix sugar, the remaining 2 tablespoons fish sauce and 1 tablespoon orange juice in a small bowl.
- Heat a wok over high heat. Swirl in 1 teaspoon of the oil. Add onions and cook, stirring, until limp and caramelized, about 5 minutes. Transfer the onions to a plate. Wipe out the pan. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and increase heat to high. Slowly drop in pork and stir-fry until browned and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the reserved fish sauce/orange juice mixture and the reserved onions; toss until the pork is coated with sauce. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve over rice.
Per serving: 243 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 3 g fiber; 575 mg sodium; 615 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (44% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Grapefruit can add a healthy and refreshing flavor to entrees...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- May/June 1995