Stir-Fry of Pork with Vietnamese Flavors
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
This easy stir-fry explores the exquisite flavors of Vietnamese cuisine.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 serrano or jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups finely sliced onions, (2-4 onions)
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh cilantro leaves
- Combine ginger, peppers, garlic, 1 tablespoon of the fish sauce, 1 tablespoon of the orange juice, cornstarch and black pepper in a shallow dish. Add pork and toss to coat it with marinade. Set aside to marinate for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Mix sugar, the remaining 2 tablespoons fish sauce and 1 tablespoon orange juice in a small bowl.
- Heat a wok over high heat. Swirl in 1 teaspoon of the oil. Add onions and cook, stirring, until limp and caramelized, about 5 minutes. Transfer the onions to a plate. Wipe out the pan. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and increase heat to high. Slowly drop in pork and stir-fry until browned and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the reserved fish sauce/orange juice mixture and the reserved onions; toss until the pork is coated with sauce. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve over rice.
Per serving: 243 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 3 g fiber; 575 mg sodium; 615 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (44% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 1995