Stir-Fry of Pork with Vietnamese Flavors
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
This easy stir-fry explores the exquisite flavors of Vietnamese cuisine.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 serrano or jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups finely sliced onions, (2-4 onions)
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh cilantro leaves
- Combine ginger, peppers, garlic, 1 tablespoon of the fish sauce, 1 tablespoon of the orange juice, cornstarch and black pepper in a shallow dish. Add pork and toss to coat it with marinade. Set aside to marinate for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Mix sugar, the remaining 2 tablespoons fish sauce and 1 tablespoon orange juice in a small bowl.
- Heat a wok over high heat. Swirl in 1 teaspoon of the oil. Add onions and cook, stirring, until limp and caramelized, about 5 minutes. Transfer the onions to a plate. Wipe out the pan. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and increase heat to high. Slowly drop in pork and stir-fry until browned and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the reserved fish sauce/orange juice mixture and the reserved onions; toss until the pork is coated with sauce. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve over rice.
Per serving: 243 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 3 g fiber; 575 mg sodium; 615 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (44% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 1995